Now you can drink your beer and eat it too. Flavor this crunchy brittle with a good dark beer, such as a stout or an amber ale, for rich caramel notes. It’s a fun gift, and it comes together in less than 30 minutes.
- 1/2 cup of good dark beer, preferably Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout or Boont Amber Ale
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup toasted nuts, such as slivered almonds or pistachios
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil and grease lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large, heavy-bottom saucepan, combine the beer, sugar and corn syrup. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a good simmer (watch that the mixture does not boil over, stirring occasionally if needed). Cook until a candy thermometer inserted reads 310 degrees, then remove from heat.
- Immediately stir in the salt, vanilla and nuts. Be careful, as the mixture will steam. Quickly pour the brittle over the prepared pan, spreading it thin. Cool the brittle completely, then break into pieces.
Each of 6 servings: 255 calories; 4 grams protein; 42 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 9 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 35 grams sugar; 27 mg. sodium.